A month ago, I asked you “how can I do better?” in the form of a longer-than-you-probably-expected survey. Your responses were thoughtful, enlightening, and occasionally hilarious.
I read through every comment with the intention of emailing you back individually, but my mastering queue continues to grow while I spend time with my kids, home for the summer. Getting anything substantive done in two-minute bursts between calls for “Daddy” is an exercise in frustration.
Plus, I’m still catching up from our week of camping at Huntington Lake.
Back to the survey, the biggest surprises to me were:
- Almost half of you bought a CD within the past month!
- Three quarters of you want more videos, even if it means more time between releases (I blame Robbie Ryan’s incredible work).
- You picked “Slot Machine” as your least favorite, even though it’s the most liked on Jango, and my personal favorite.
- “That” was the third favorite overall, and the #1 of many. So, you want more long near-instrumental tracks without hooks?
- The vast majority of you want to hear more about the production of my music, so I’m hoping to film a “mix breakdown” video soon!
Last week I sent out the first progress report on Adjustments Pt. 2 (labeled FOR THEORISTS ONLY) to those who pre-ordered all three EPs. Pre-order Pts 2-3 for $10 or more to join in the fun!
Finally, the lyrics of “What You Said” never explicitly state what was said to make the singer so upset. I asked you to “hazard” a guess, and your answers were pretty random! Here are my top three:
- You sing like a girl. (doesn’t really bother me)
- I downloaded your songs for free. (I can live with that)
- I am going to tickle a kitten until it cries hot kitten tears. (that’s just wrong!)